Protelligent® is on top of data breaches happening around us every day. Equifax announced last week that an estimated 143 million people have been affected by a data breach caused by a website-application vulnerability. Meanwhile, the recent devastation in Texas and Florida caused by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma has created prime opportunities for hackers to prey upon people wishing to donate to relief efforts through fake websites and phishing scams.
Keeping our customers safe from data breaches and giving them time to focus on innovation and growth strategies is our top priority. Here are some of the trending cyber threats you need to know:
- Skimming is the process of attackers collecting card-stripe data from credit and debit cards used at gas stations or ATM machines. However, advancements in technology have created additional ways of collecting this type of information through Bluetooth or mobile devices, making these threats even more persistent.
- Physical theft or loss enables cyber criminals to access corporate and personal information that is contained on improperly secured laptops and hand-held mobile devices.
- External application attacks are attacks against local apps and supplier-provided solutions, such as point of sale (POS) systems. The success of these attacks is due to insufficient vulnerability and authentication management and monitoring, much like the massive Equifax data breach announced last week.
- Insider threat is the most underestimated source of a data breach. Whether the threat is due to intentional or negligent misuse of privileges, this threat is difficult to detect without the proper security expertise and latest threat intelligence.
- Cyber espionage is generally carried out by skilled attackers using computer networks to gain illegal access to confidential information, such as the attack on the Democratic National Convention during the 2016 election.
- Ransomware is carried out through malicious links embedded within an email. In May, “WannaCry” ransomware crippled organizations in more than 150 countries after users clicked on links that infected them with malware and demanded a ransom in exchange for access to their computers.
- Phishing scams are also carried out via an email that appears to be from a legitimate source, such as PayPal or eBay. These email messages urgently direct users to update debit, credit card and other personal data by clicking on malicious links that take them to fake websites that steal their information.
- User error is often the main cause of a data breach. It can be due to an email sent to the wrong person, storage of documents on a resource that can be accessed by the public, or the incorrect disposal of data.
Preventing a data breach requires the implementation of security controls that will protect assets, infrastructure and information. Protelligent’s all-inclusive Premonition™ Security Suite combines the best of these practices through SIEM technologies, proven strategies and expertise to protect your company against cyber attacks. Here are just a few of the features incorporated into Premonition’s multi-layered approach:
- Penetration and attack resiliency testing leads the fight against attacks, like the Equifax data breach, by uncovering vulnerabilities across your entire network. By simulating the tactics of real-world attackers, Premonition Security Suite pinpoints flawed logic, configuration issues and more to remediate before they can be leveraged against you.
- Account protection and data carrier security is vital to preventing data breaches through the use of strong passwords, authentication and encryption. Our Premonition Security Operations Center (SOC) tunes your system to keep up with the current threat landscape and works with you when actionable threat information surfaces.
- Awareness is key to recognizing a potential attack. Premonition’s Learning Management System-as-a-Service (LMSaaS) offers a cost-effective, intuitive solution to deliver and deploy threat-awareness training for employees.
- Security policies should be reviewed and updated regularly, as well as strictly enforced on any and all devices that connect to your business network. It’s the responsibility of our Premonition Security Suite vCISO to strategically prioritize resources to continuously monitor and measure your people, plans and compliance posture in order to help mitigate the threats.
If not handled properly, a data breach can be devastating to your company’s reputation and financial success. Do not leave your business open to litigation, fines or bad publicity. Learn more about how Protelligent’s Premonition Security Suite can level the playing field for your organization or contact us today at (855) PRO-TELL.
Comments are closed.